Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 4: My (amazing) Parents

I have to tell you the cutest story! So a week or two ago I was sitting in my room working on some Christmas  presents when my dad walks in. He comes over to my bed holding a picture of him and my mom at their wedding. He points at my mom and says "that's my sweetie", then he gets teary eyed and says it again, this time getting choked up and starting to cry. He looks at me with a smile on his face and tears on his cheeks. I could see so much love and appreciation in his eyes, it made me stop for a moment to really think about the very real feelings that they share for each other.

Every Christmas, actually more like every Christmas, Valentines day, and anniversary, my dad buys my mom jewelry. It's the cutest little ritual I've ever seen!
So it starts a couple of weeks before Christmas, mom tells dad not to get her jewelry using the usual excuses, "not enough money" "I have enough jewelry" etc. Of course dad just says "Yes dear" and looks at us and smiles because we all know what's going to happen.
Then the week before Christmas, he sneaks out and buys her something beautiful.
On Christmas morning, we go through the whole traditional present opening and such. Then after everyone has finished opening their gifts, dad goes over to the tree and picks up the little boxed that he stashed and gives it to mom.
The moment he puts it in her hands she scolds him and then starts to open it. As soon as she sees it, she gasps, looks at my dad and starts to cry, telling him how beautiful it is and how much she loves it. All the while dad has been crying since he handed her the box.
This is something that I've seen happen my whole life, year after year, and it has affected me more than either of them know. The underlying message of love, appreciation and service have sunk into my heart over all the years. I am so grateful for their example, and I hope that one day I'll have the kind of love that they share with each other.

My parents are the most amazing people in the world! I know, I know, your parents are great too... But mine are the best ;) No I am not biased! lol

My mom is seriously the most wonderful woman in the world, she's my rock and one of my best friends. She's always there when I need her, she knows me better than I know myself, and even though I won't admit this very often, she's usually right about everything. :) We've shared a lot of really great experiences together. She has this great way of fully understanding what I'm going through without me ever having to say a word. Her life has been tough, but she has always been strong and optimistic. She's taught me to find the best in people, to serve others, and how important family and love is. I love her so much! She is the best example of a mother I have ever seen, I am so lucky to have her ^_^.

My daddy is my hero. He is the epitome of a patriot, and one of the most selfless people I've ever met. He served in the Vietnam war, then came home and worked as a police officer and even a fireman. Now he coaches people and helps them build skills so they can support themselves and their families. He has taught me to love my country and everything it stands for. He's also taught me the importance of family and helping others. He is a great man, and I'll always be a daddy's little girl ;).

As you can see, I wasn't lying when I told you that my parents are the best!

1 comment:

  1. You do have some really awesome parents Katie. Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

    ReplyDelete